Sunday, 16 July 2017

Staying Healthy at University

Going to University is all fun and games until you realise you've put on about 5 stone, you can no longer walk up a flight of stairs without getting breathless, your skin is feeling horrible and the dreaded freshers flu is still lingering 2 months on.  Your mum is no longer around to cook you healthy meals every day or nag at you to go out and get some fresh air so in the words of Paddy McGuinness, the power is now in your hands. This new found responsibility of looking after yourself can become extremely overwhelming and it's not uncommon to find yourself staying in bed all day after a night out, only leaving to grab a £2.99 pizza from the Tesco next door which you can shove in the oven and get back to bed as soon as possible.  Even if we don't want to admit it, we all know really that this kind of lifestyle does not make for a healthy body or a healthy mind.  It is so important to look after your physical and mental health whilst at University so here are my tips for staying healthy (ish) at University. 

My first tip is to do proper weekly or two weekly food shops with a shopping list as opposed to just popping to your local shop when you're hungry.  I know that sounds horribly mature and adult-like but writing a shopping list allows you to plan healthier meals rather than just quickly grabbing what your hungry stomach desires at the end of the day.  It also saves a lot of money because you can bulk-buy stuff to re-use or you can cook bigger meals so you can freeze some for another day.  And I'm not saying everything on your list has to be healthy, of course remember to pick up a couple of treats too, but it will encourage you to eat more fruit and veg if it's in your basket.  

Another tip is remember to drink your 2 litres of water a day.  I am incredibly guilty of getting to the mid-afternoon and realising that I haven't had a glass of water yet.  Water is so important in keeping you healthy, reducing tiredness and flushing out that horrible freshers flu.  I find it helps to always have a water bottle with me or set myself goals of how much water I want to drink by what time - you could even get one of them cool fruit infusing water bottles to spice things up a bit.  

Staying on the drinking topic, alcohol is a big part of University life but also a big part of you no longer being able to fit in  to your favourite jeans.  Of course I'm not saying that you shouldn't go out and drink alcohol, but just have a think about how much you're drinking and what you're drinking.  Also consider what you're using as a mixer for spirits.  Perhaps ditch that vodka and coke you normally drink at pres for vodka and squash - it will save you money too!!

In terms of working out, do make use of that free gym membership that most freshers get.  You'll be regretting it in your second and third year when you have to fork out a few hundred quid just to go run on a treadmill for half an hour. I find that buying myself cute, new gym clothes always encourages me to go to the gym - so remember to put gym clothes on your University shopping list.  If you're a bit lazy like me and get bored of the gym after a couple of weeks, consider joining a sport.  Every University runs hundreds of sports from Rugby to Quidditch and it's a great way to stay fit whilst also making lots of new friends.  I cant speak for everyone but I know that I always feel happier after I've done a bit of exercise. 

If doing workouts at the gym or doing a sport isn't your kind of thing, try to go out for walks.  You're living in a brand new city, go out and explore!  Go for a coffee or go visit a local park.  I find that when I spend long periods of time cooped up in my University bedroom I start to feel a bit trapped and claustrophobic.  Sometimes all it takes to clear your mind is a little walk and a breath of fresh air and you'll soon be feeling as right as rain.  You could even try and encourage one of your friends to join you on your walk so it's not so lonely!

But, if all else fails and you don't feel like taking on any of these tips, go out, party hard and dance those little feet of yours off - the perfect way to exercise and keep fit!
Don't forget to follow me on

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. loved the post! freshers flu got me real bad haha
    mylifestylemantra.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha,I think all students can relate xx

      Delete
  2. Definitely good tips!! I just discovered your blog and really enjoy reading it.

    https://adventures-around-the-world.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig